The original nine-hole course opened for play in April 1892. With increasing membership and visitors, an additional nine holes were added and the 18-hole course was opened on 14th May 1898. A Professionals’ Tournament was held on 21st July and won by J. H. Taylor, with a 36-hole total of 157.
Both World Wars saw armed forces using the Sheringham course for exercises and, in World War 2, gun emplacements, pill boxes and look-out towers were erected on and around Skelding Hill. The Clubhouse was used as accommodation for troops and persons displaced from their homes by bomb damage.